Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The making of Piza Seven

As my publicist recommends, I'm going to tell how my story, Rebellion on Piza 7 and the sequels came about. I lost my job a year and a half ago. I started writing to pass the time until I found a new job or got published. I love to write and my favorite genre really is mysteries. I've been reading mysteries since I discovered The Hardyboys and Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie's Hercule Poroit and Miss Marple.

I mainly started writing romantic mysteries with a couple of paranormals started when I had this dream. It was more like a nightmare, but it was definitely different. I remembered it in vivid detail and it wouldn't leave me alone. The problem with it is it was Science Fiction type of dream and I wasn't writing science fiction, I was writing mysteries.

Two weeks later, I went online, found a science fiction short story contest, and wrote the story to fit the guidelines. I had to get the story out of my head so I could concentrate on my other stories. I gave it to my husband to proof read and he said "this needs to be longer, and this is at least six paragraphs long not one..." you get the idea. No amount of "but it's a short story!" whining persuaded him it was okay as a short story.

He was right. Until I had a full length story, I couldn't get the dream to leave me alone. Aliens, far off worlds, psychics, it plagued me until the story was finished, if not polished.

I suck at query letters. Any would be authors and published authors know what I'm talking about. That VERY short letter where you have to manage to imbue your words with character, convince some agent your worthy of a second look, and make yourself look good. I suck.

My voice is my characters. When I write a query letter, I get something worst than writers block. I turn into a cement block incapable of creativity and sink my chances. Rebellion on Piza 7 was different. I wasn't nervous and didn't have my hopes up just sent the query out because I had a finished manuscript. Well it worked!

From oversized, larger than life spiders, crystal lasers, alien creatures, maniacal, bigoted people, and humanoids from another planet, you will be kept on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment